Monday, September 9, 2013

Dracula (1931) [Blu-ray]



BLU RAY package includes excellent Spanish version
Although I've seen this classic Universal film dozens of times starting at about age 10, this is my first look at the excellent Blu ray transfer available as a stand-alone film or part of the "Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection."

The well-known tale stars Bela Lugosi in his most recognizable role. The Hungarian actor also played the character in the stage production from which much is adapted for this early talking picture. Some will snicker at the mannerisms and heightened theatrics more common in the theater. Even as a great admirer of the movie, I chuckle when I see a couple armadillos scurrying across Dracula's Transylvanian castle.

Lugosi, still struggling with English accentuates his dialog not only with an unusual cadence, enunciating each syllable but seemingly each letter. But Bela was a charmer, especially of the ladies which transformed the Count from the Dracula in Bram Stoker's novel and the first production on film, "Nosferatu, a Symphony of...

Dracula
DRACULA

**** Out of 5

Tagline- Carl Laemmle Presents the Vampire Thriller!

Release Date- February 14th, 1931

Running Time- 75-Minutes

Rating- NR

Screenplay- Garrett Fort (Novel- Bram Stoker)

Director- Tod Browning

Starring- Bela Lugosi, David Manners, Helen Chandler, Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan as Van Helsing

Released in 1931 Dracula is probably the most influential vampire film ever made and one of the biggest hits in the legacy of Universal Pictures. Since its release the good portion of vampire films have taken many elements from this film and every actor to portray Count Dracula is directly inspired by Bela Lugosi (and from time to time Christopher Lee). As much as I enjoy Dracula I'd rate it behind the first 3 Frankenstein films as well as the Wolf-Man, but with that said I actually think in some ways Dracula might hold up a little better than those films (along with the Wolf...

"Lugosi, The Definitive Dracula!"
Bela Lugosi, Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan star in this 1931 horror classic
based on Bram Stoker's novel. A seductive vampire travels to London to feed
on some of it's residents. Lugosi will always be the definitive version of Dracula
in my opinion and he didn't even need fangs because his looks and movements
were creepy enough. This Blu-ray has good picture and sound, neat extras and
includes the Spanish version. I recommend this for your horror collection.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment